I love taking cakes and bakes into work, I’m a feeder and seeing happy faces makes me happy.
I adapted these apple crumble muffins from a recipe I pinned making a few easy tweaks and coming up with something really quite different. Swapping some of the more decadent ingredients for what I had in the fridge and devising a gooey core of custard. Apple crumble always needs custard so why would apple crumble muffins be any different. I’ve suggested half a pack of Bird’s custard, but if you are anything like me, make the whole thing and eat any leftovers with a spoon. Chef’s perks. I got great feedback on these, but wish I’d put more custard in, learn from my mistakes.
- Wholesome (Spelt counts right?!)
- Crumble Topped
They are a perfect 11 o clock pick me up. Grab a cup of tea and settle down for a treat! Mmm, I feel cosy just thinking about it. I love a good muffin, but these are one of my best. A good crumble top on a muffin is literally the icing on the cake for me.
I’ve provided some images to go along with the recipe underneath so you can see the steps.
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1 & 2/3 cup spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup apple puree
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/2 cup spelt flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter, chilled
- Ready made custard or
- Half a packet of Bird's custard made to the packet instructions
- Milk if using Birds.
- Whisk all the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl or in an electric mixer. Make a well and add all the wet ingredients.
- Beat the wet into the dry on low or by hand until thoroughly combined. Stir in the apples by hand.
- Combine all the topping ingredients and rub the butter in with your fingers until crumbly.
- Make up half a sachet of birds custard according to the instructions or use ready made custard.
- Fill 15 muffin cups 3/4 full with the muffin batter.
- Put a large teaspoonful of custard on the top of each muffin batter and push down until level.
- Sprinkle each muffin with a large spoonful of crumble topping.
- Bake at 180'c for 28-30 minutes until the crumble topping is golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.