Instead of hashing together the granola recipe I stumbled upon today, I thought I’d give you the recipe for the granola I made in the summer. This recipe is vague on purpose, use whatever you have in the cupboard, all those odds and ends! Thrifty and better than shop bought, don’t say I never give you anything.
I love granola in a million ways, you could have it with warm milk in winter or cold yoghurt and fruit on sunnier days. Why not whip up some easy homemade granola
- 225g porridge oats, the biggest you can buy
- 160g mixed nuts e.g. flaked almonds, cashews, pecans, chopped pistachios
- 60g dessicated coconut (take out if you don't like coconut, perhaps add some seeds instead)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp maple syrup or honey
- 1.5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 160g dried fruit e.g. raisins, sultanas, chopped apricots, chopped mango, chopped prunes, cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 130'c
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Combine the syrup (or honey) with the oil and mix into the dry ingredients. Don't add the fruit.
- Spread out across 2 baking trays and bake in the oven for 75 minutes. Every 15 minutes stir and turn the mix to ensure it browns evenly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on the trays before mixing in the dried fruit and storing in jars/tupperware.
- Enjoy for breakfast the next day!