An easy peasy strawberry cupcake recipe, there are a few steps here, but it’s the only way to get them really tasting of strawberry.
- 200g butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1tsp strawberry extract (Asda sell this)
- 4 eggs
- 200g plain flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50ml water
- 50ml sieved strawberry (trim, chop and heat in microwave then sieve) or use strawberry jam (use less sugar).
- 50g sugar
- 250g Butter
- 100g Strawberry Milkshake powder
- 125g icing sugar
- 1. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the strawberry extract and eggs, one at a time (adding a spoonful of the flour if it begins to look funny). Once they are all beaten in, add the sieved flour, baking powder and a pinch of salt. Plop it all into the cases mine normally weigh 44g or about an icecream scoop worth. Bake for 20-25mins at 160'c.
- 2. While they are baking put all the syrup ingredients into a pan, on a medium heat and dissolve the sugar, when it is dissolved, bring to the boil for 2 mins and then take the pan off the heat.
- 3.When they are cooked (check with a skewer in the middle - it should come out clean) brush each with strawberry syrup while they are still hot. Do this carefully, if it runs down the side of the case they will come off.
- To make the buttercream as you see above, simply beat the butter until it goes smooth and pale then add the icing sugar and milkshake powder. I piped mine with a very large star nozzle.
I made these for a wedding of some dear friends for a tea and cake reception after the ceremony. They went down a storm! I made 75 and came home with zero – the mark of a good cupcake I’d say. Or just hungry wedding guests maybe.
I used pale pink and pale purple paste food colours in the buttercream to tie in with their wedding colour scheme