I have a savoury and vegetarian bake for you today 🙂 Delish! The Butternut Filo Pie is filled with all the yummies! As well as my beloved butternut there is spinach, onions and tangy goats cheese.
I made a little one to serve just two, but its easily doubled, it’s super simple. The filo pastry makes this pie lighter than if we used shortcrust, perfect for a midweek meal as it bakes really quick too.
I’m thinking of trying filo versions of other favourite pie fillings what do you think?
- 1/2 butternut squash, cut into 1cm cubes,
- 1 onion cut into 8 wedges
- 1 small chilli cut into small dice
- 1 small bag of spinach approx 235g
- 50g feta or goats cheese crumbled
- 2 sheets filo pastry
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil.
- Preheat the oven to 200'c.
- Place the squash, onions and chilli in an ovenproof dish, season and cook for 20 minutes (the onion should be starting to char at the edges.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach in a colander and pour over a kettle of boiling water - now the messy bit - once it's cooled slightly squeeze out the excess moisture and stir into your squash mixture. Crumble the cheese over.
- Top with the filo, artistically crumpled and brush with oil.
- Pop back in the oven for 15 more minutes until the pastry looks like below!